Locked on to locked up: Herbert in custody

 

SERIAL protester Eric Herbert, who has previously been banned from Brisbane's CBD, has been taken into custody after he was cut from a car after a more than three-hour protest near the Tower of Power.

Herbert and another man were secured to the car with lock-on devices near 1 William St.

During this morning's protest, Herbert said he was "terrified" and will "probably be in prison" next week.

Eric Herbert from Extinction Rebellion pictured outside 1 William St, Brisbane. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP
Eric Herbert from Extinction Rebellion pictured outside 1 William St, Brisbane. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP

Herbert, who has now been arrested 11 times, has said the group would keep protesting at 1 William St until the "government acts".

"I don't want to be here but the situation is we're looking at mass starvation in 10 years, so yes I'm scared but I'm also scared of billions of people migrating and ecological and societal collapse," he said.

"We are non violent protesters doing what is necessary.

"It's not something we want to do, it's simply something we have to do."

When asked about the waste of police resources, Herbert answered the police were "under discretion to use their resources in whatever way possible".

"We understand they have a budget, we have asked them to let us stay here and we are happy to do that," he said.

"We have more demands and the rebellion won't stop.

"I'll be in the watch house and then in court talking to the magistrate about why I did what I did and possibly being sent to prison."

Herbert was arrested after he attached himself to a station wagon with a 'rebel for life' decal on the side.

Extinction Rebellion protesters pictured at the corner of George and Elizabeth streets. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP
Extinction Rebellion protesters pictured at the corner of George and Elizabeth streets. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP

It came after as many as nine protesters locked themselves to a pink catamaran at a nearby intersection.

They disrupted traffic during peak hour at the intersection of George and Elizabeth streets, with lock-on devices used to keep police at bay.

The protesters and the boat have since been cleared from the intersection. All were taken into custody.

Two of the activists in a lock-on device after they were removed from the catamaran. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP
Two of the activists in a lock-on device after they were removed from the catamaran. Picture: Josh Woning/AAP

There was a heavy police presence in the area and it did cause congestion for motorists, with commuters travelling inbound from the south warned to exit from the Riverside Expressway at Turbot or Margaret streets.

There was heavy congestion on the Southeast Freeway back to Upper Mount Gravatt, with a number of bus services also affected.

Congestion on the Southeast Freeway heading into the city. Picture: Alexandria Utting.
Congestion on the Southeast Freeway heading into the city. Picture: Alexandria Utting.

Police earlier advised of additional protest activity at South Bank, at the intersection of Grey and Russell streets.

It is the fourth day of protests by the activists, with dozens arrested so far, and more to come tomorrow.

On Tuesday, a man suspended himself from the Story Bridge for several hours, while yesterday another protester blocked train lines for a short period.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk yesterday said she wanted dangerous device ban laws in place before the end of the month.

Ms Palaszczuk said she was not worried if it was a "bad look", insisting critics would have the opportunity to have their say.

"The use of these dangerous devices is not acceptable," she said.

Activists have warned that the William Jolly Bridge will be a key focus of their protests tomorrow morning.