Police have arrested a driver after multiple reports of dangerous behaviour on the Pacific Highway.
Police have arrested a driver after multiple reports of dangerous behaviour on the Pacific Highway. Trevor Veale

Man throws box cutter at police after officer draws gun

UPDATE 4.20pm: A MAN who allegedly threw a box cutter at police and drove dangerously on the North Coast has been charged.

About 2.15pm yesterday, a Holden Commodore came to the attention of highway patrol officers due to the manner it was being driven south on the Pacific Highway at Yelgun.

It was detected travelling at 180km/h and later allegedly performed burnouts, travelled at excessive speed and overtook other cars over double lines after taking the West Ballina exit.

Police found the car abandoned near Aspley Pl and Brampton St.

Richmond Police District and Traffic and Highway Patrol officers began searching for the driver, who was later found in the shed of an Aspley Pl property.

Police will allege a highway patrol officer was threatened with a box cutter.

The officer deployed OC spray, which had no effect.

The officer then drew his firearm.

The man then allegedly threw the box cutter at the officer and a struggle ensued.

The Banora Point man, 29, was arrested and charged with using an offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, assaulting police, resisting arrest, possessing a prohibited drug, having goods in custody and driving whilst disqualified.

He was refused bail to face Lismore Local Court today.

Regional Traffic and Highway Patrol Acting Superintendent Rob Toynton said Northern Borders Highway Patrol would keep working with Richmond Police District to take unsafe drivers off the road and place them before the courts.


Original story: A DRIVER with dodgy sign on their car is in custody after allegedly travelling at 180km/h down the Pacific Highway.

Tweed Byron Police District Inspector Luke Arthurs said they had received several reports of a vehicle travelling at excessive speeds on the highway.

He said the first reports came from the Mullumbimby area.

"It started in our area," he said.

"We were getting reports of it."

The car continued travelling down the motorway to the West Byron area.

Insp Arthurs said "detective, NSW Police Force" was written in graffiti on the rear of the vehicle.

A NSW Police spokesman confirmed one person was in custody.

"There was a car that was driving in a manner dangerous," he said.

He said officers from the Richmond Police District arrested the driver in West Ballina.

He said no charges had formally been laid as of yet, and no pursuit occurred.