Parents to pay $1000 surety for accused
A MAN accused of armed robbery has won his bid for freedom after eight months in custody but only on the proviso his parents cough up a $1000 surety.
Magistrate Mark Morrow said the condition should be enough to ensure Aydon Trent Seaton complied with his bail conditions.
"Your parents have money, let's put some money on it," Magistrate Morrow said.
"He has failed to appear (before) so we need someone to put something up to make sure he turns up.
"I am sure they will be very disappointed if they lose $1000 because he does not show up.
"He really need to support his parents, whether he realises that or not."
Mr Seaton faced Mackay Magistrates Court via videolink from Capricornia Correctional centre as defence solicitor Peter Clark, of Strutynsky Law, made a second bail application.
He is also facing other charges including drug possession, assaulting or obstructing a police officers and failure to take care of a syringe.
Mr Clarke argued his client should be released on bail because he had already spent more than eight months in custody.
Mr Seaton previously had a bail application denied on the grounds he was considered "at risk" of not appearing in court and of committing further offences while on bail.
Prosecutor Josh Morris rejected the application arguing regardless of the time, Mr Seaton had already served before being sentenced he was still considered "at risk" of the same things.
However, Magistrate Morrow granted bail. He said considering it would take about six more months to resolve the case, it was not appropriate an accused serve more time in pre-sentence custody than they would if found guilty.
Mr Seaton will face court again on July 12.