INCIDENT: Police are investigating an incident, which was claimed to be an attempted abduction of a 19-year-old girl.
INCIDENT: Police are investigating an incident, which was claimed to be an attempted abduction of a 19-year-old girl. Rob Williams

Police drop investigation into attempted 'abduction' of girl

A POLICE investigation that was launched into an attempted "abduction" in Maroochydore was dropped this afternoon after the complaint was withdrawn.

It came after Cindy Sugden, mother of the teenage victim, took to social media over the weekend to sound a warning to others.

Her daughter Ayla had been out on Ocean St on Friday night where she was waiting to be picked up by her sister in the Big Top Shopping Centre carpark.

READ: 'Hold your kids tight': Mum's advice after abduction attempt

Mrs Sugden's Facebook post, which was shared almost 10,000 times, claimed Ayla was "grabbed" by two guys and "dragged" towards their car.

She said Ayla was "overpowered" and her screams alerted two other men nearby who intervened before the car sped off.

On Saturday afternoon Ayla filed a complaint with police about the incident.

Maroochydore acting Duty Sergeant Michael McGuire confirmed this morning investigations were under way, however the matter was being treated as an assault, not an attempted abduction.

"I can confirm we are investigating an assault, but there was no dragging her towards a vehicle or anything," Sgt McGuire said.

But a statement released by police a few hours later said the investigation had been finalised after the victim withdrew her complaint.

No further action was taken by police after the complaint was withdrawn.

Ayla's father Brad said he was relieved more than anything that she was unhurt and wanted to express his sincere thanks to the two men who saved his little girl.

"We hope they come forward, because I really want to thank them," Mr Sugden said.

"That's the least we can do. Who knows how bad it could have been."